Who is at the origin of the gambling business? Who were the first casino owners? How have modern gambling magnates made a fortune and firmly established themselves in the industry, beating many competitors?
Gambling Industry Legends
In this section of Casinoz, we talk about the life and business of the biggest bigwigs in the industry. Read the biographies of the legendary casino owners and learn their lives' secrets. Maybe, this will inspire you to play and win.
Founders of Legendary Casino
Let's begin with the colorful personalities that shaped the appearance of the modern gambling business. Some of them were fascinating characters from a different stratum of society.
- Howard Hughes was an eccentric millionaire, a dreamer who was not afraid to invest in the most different spheres: scientific inventions, cinema, aviation, and gambling. His Vegas casinos offered a high level of service and forced the competitors to improve the service.
- Jim McKay was one of Las Vegas's founders as the USA's gambling capital. He owned the biggest and most famous casinos in the city's early history. McKay casinos were successful until the early fifties when large monopolies replaced them.
- Bugsy Siegel was the most charming gangster in the history of Las Vegas. He ran a casino like a criminal. His life had daring robberies, beautiful women, wealth, fame, and recognition of the wealthiest and most influential people, but it ended early and sadly.
- Benny Binion began as a typical American bandit who did not disdain theft, bootlegging, or murder. Later he took up the organization of underground gambling and, after a while, opened legal casinos. His main brainchild was the famous Binion's Horseshoe casino, which has long been a trendsetter in Las Vegas.
- Nick Abelman was born into a family of poor immigrants, but his modest background did not prevent him from becoming one of the magnates of the gambling industry. He owned casinos in Reno, Nevada, and California. Abelman's casinos were visited by famous artists, prominent politicians, well-known athletes, and the wealthiest.
We also describe many other casino operators of the past.
Tycoons of the 2nd Half of the 20th Century
In the second half of the 20th century, the sphere of the gambling business began to develop rapidly. The history of gambling at that time included many outstanding personalities.
- Frank Rosenthal is an iconic character. The legendary "Lefty" directly and indirectly managed several famous casinos, which boldly introduced all sorts of innovations. His world fame contributed to the film "Casino" by Martin Scorsese, shot based on the biography of Frank Rosenthal.
- Stanley Ho was called the king of Macau and Hong Kong gambling, and this flattering title does not seem an exaggeration. He created a vast monopoly, earned billions of dollars, and set the tone for many years of regional gambling development.
- Bill Bennett was born in a farmer's family and served in the U.S. Navy during world war II. Returning home, he started a business and proved to be a very successful manager. Later he became the casino manager, and after a while, he became the famous Circus Circus Casino owner. After, he bought the casino Sahara, which is working today.
- Kirk Kerkorian was named "Father," "Baron," "Lion," and even "King." The man's business reputation was impeccable. His authority was unwavering. He invested in various areas, including gambling. He owned the international Hotel Casino and the MGM Grand Hotel. Later he bought Steve Wynn's company Mirage.
- Sheldon Adelson engaged in the gambling business in the late '80s of the 20th century by buying The Sands Casino in Las Vegas. He later opened the iconic Venetian casino and then expanded the scope of his activities in Macau, running there Venetian Macao Casino and the legendary Marina Bay Sands complex.
- Steve Wynn was one of the most charismatic characters in the gambling world. He owned top-rated casinos, attracting customers with luxury and various services. But his reputation and financial affairs were significantly shaken by several scandals and trials.
Read more about these and other industry leaders at Casinoz.
Gambling Tycoons in 2023
The gambling business in 2023 does not suffer from a lack of new top managers. Fresh blood in the face of young and ambitious casino owners pours into the industry.
Perhaps the most striking example is Lawrence Ho, son of the legendary Stanley Ho. The guy chose not to live a slacker life, seriously took up education, and delved into all the secrets of the family business. Eventually, he raised the Empire founded by his father to new heights and successfully continued developing his casinos in different countries.
New articles regularly update the section with biographies of the most prominent gambling tycoons of the past and present. Do not forget to open this page to learn about the founders of major casinos and leading gambling figures.