The version of roulette, which is called French, has common rules for this kind of gambling. A wheel with the rotating part is used in this game. The wheel has numbered sectors. These numbers are duplicated in the special layout.
It has some nuances of the gameplay and appearance, which differ it from the most common European roulette. The main feature of French roulette is a rule called La Partage due to which this version of the game has become the most profitable for the users. Read about it below.
Since roulette appeared in France, we can say that exactly the French version is an ancestor of the game, which has become the main symbol of casinos.
The goal of French roulette is to predict a number or a group of numbers into whose pockets on the wheel a ball will fall, which the dealer starts spinning at the beginning of each round. Therefore, the player makes one or more bets and payouts for them are carried out according to established odds.
The layout for this version of roulette differs from that of the European version in the location of fields for outside bets (red/black, odd/even, columns, etc.). They are traditionally located on both sides of the thirty-seven numbered sectors.
In the classic version all the terms in the layout must be written in French, but this rule is not so strict in modern gambling.
It is interesting that all numbers can be presented in one color in French roulette. Thus, they are red and black only on the wheel.
The racetrack for call bets is not always offered. If it is available, it is located next to the dealer.
The gameplay starts with the fact that the croupier announces the beginning of the round and spins the ball. Players wager on the field. It can be done with the help of the dealer (for example, placing chips on sectors or neighbors). The dealer also monitors the placement of chips, removing excess and setting straight carelessly placed chips.
When the ball slows down, the dealer announces no more bets. The ball falls into one pocket, determining a winning number. Then the dealer removes all the losing bets and makes payouts. This round is over.
Types of Bets
In French roulette it is possible to make a large number of bets covering from one to several numbers. They are discussed below with the indication of payout odds.
- A single number bet (Straight, Straight Up, Single) - 35:1
- A bet on two numbers (Split) - 17:1
- A bet on three numbers (Street) - 11:1
- A bet on four numbers (Corner, Quad, Square) - 8:1
- A bet on six numbers (Six Line, Line, Double Street) - 5:1
- A bet on the first eighteen numbers (Manque, Low) - 1:1
- A bet on the latter eighteen numbers (Passe, High) - 1:1
- Red (Rouge) - 1:1
- Black (Noir) - 1:1
- Even (Pair) - 1:1
- Odd (Impair) - 1:1
- A bet of the group of twelve numbers (Douzaine, Dozen) - 2:1
- A bet of the group of twelve numbers located vertically (Column) - 2:1
- Neighbors is a bet that includes a called number and two its neighbors on both sides on the wheel.
- Voisins du z?ro (Neighbors of Zero) is a bet which covers with nine chips the following numbers: 0, 2, 3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32 and 35.
- Jeu z?ro (Zero Game, Zero spiel) is a bet which covers with four chips the following numbers: 0, 3, 12, 15, 26, 32 and 35.
- Le tiers du cylindre (Thirds of the Wheel, Tier and Small Series) is a bet which covers with six chips the following splits: 5/8, 10/11, 13/16, 23/24, 27/30 and 33/36.
- Orphelins (Orphans) is a bet which covers with five chips the following numbers: 1, 6, 9, 14, 17, 20, 31 and 34.
Read more about call bets, features of their making and sizes of payouts in the special articles at Casinoz.
When you play roulette, you can also make bets on a series of numbers. They are not traditional, but may be often available at casinos to draw attention of customers. They include the Finals, Completes and some others. They are described in the separate publications on our website.
It means that if a zero wins, bets made on even chances (odd/even, red/black and high/low numbers) are not completely lost. The player loses only half their amounts. Exactly this rule makes this kind of roulette more profitable.
Except for a few unique models of roulette developed by some establishments or software manufacturers, the French version is the most attractive for casino customers, because it offers the highest theoretical payout percentage.
Nowadays French roulette can be found on many Internet portals running on software from famous brands. So you can easily find a gambling site that is suitable for you and on which you can play both for free and for money.