The roulette is called the Queen of the casino, but this is nothing more than a tribute to an ancient tradition. Slots have long been the true kings of gambling. Their hegemony is especially evident in online gambling. There are several times more slot machines in any online casino than all other gambling games combined. The number of video slots on the most prominent websites is not even hundreds but thousands.
Dozens of famous developers and numerous little-known studios regularly release new slot machines. They dedicate themselves to various topics, implement unique bonuses, surprise customers with unexpected prize features, and lure potential players with spectacular animation.
The first mechanical slot machines consisted of three reels and featured simple, monotonous gameplay. Currently, the most common five-reel titles offer several types of symbols, free spins, bonuses, and other gameplay options. There are also games with four, six, and another number of reels, but they are rather exotic.
Is it possible to say that five-reel slots are better than three-drum machines? Or should we say the opposite?
Such statements are nothing more than subjective opinions, which cannot be regarded as a universal rule.
Next, the article discusses the key features of slot machines with three and five reels. It will help to understand the following questions:
- What are the fundamental differences between the two varieties?
- What are they like about each other?
- Why are five-reel slots more popular these days?
- Why do many customers prefer elementary slots with primitive design and monotonous gameplay?
- How can you choose the best slot machine in a particular category?
After reading this article, you can decide what type of slots you like.
Basic Slot Features
First, let's compare the main characteristics of three-and five-reel slot machines. The following are typical features of both types but remember that many developers deviate from the classical canons, giving the model atypical features.
|Three reels||Five reels|
|Number of reels||Three||Five and more|
|Number of lines||1 - 5||From 9 or no lines at all|
|Special symbol||Analogs of the scatter and wild are possible||Wild, Scatter, multiplier symbols, and all sorts of bonus pictures|
|Risk-the game||No||Often present|
|Free spins||No||One of the most common options|
|Bonus game||No||Come in different variations|
|Volatility||Usually high||Often low or medium|
|Cumulative jackpots||Rare||Often available|
|Topics||Usually classic||Very diverse|
|Rules||Very simple||Often very complex|
|Graphics||Often uncomplicated||More and more spectacular|
Once again, in modern gambling, there are more slots at the intersection of genres or unique features.
Which Slots Pay More?
In both categories, there are slots with very low and relatively high payback rates. The level of RTP does not depend on belonging to a particular group.
However, most experienced online casino customers will surely agree with this statement:
Simple three-reel slot machines often have high RTPs.
When getting acquainted with a new game, always study the characteristics and pay attention to the RTP.
If you are looking for the most giving slot machines, pay attention to these models:
- Moody Fruits(Relax Gaming) - 99.908%
- Ugga Bugga(Playtech) - 99.07%
- Ocean Princess (Playtech) - 99.07%
- Ooh Aah Dracula(Barcrest) - 99%
- Mega Joker Jackpot (NetEnt) - 99%
- Cosmic Quest: Mystery Planet(Rival) - 98.95%
- Tropic Reels(Playtech) - 98.95%
- Triple Profits(Playtech) - 98.72%
- 1429 Uncharted Seas(Thunderkick) - 98.6%
This list includes classical slot machines and multi-functional video slots.
Which Slots Pay More Often?
The frequency of payments refers to the degree of volatility. It is also called video slot variability or variance. The higher it is, the wins are less frequent, but larger.
- Most of the new five-reel slot machines have medium volatility, although there are titles with a very low or high enough level.
- Among the three-reel machines, games with mid-high volatility prevail due to the small number of active lines, the lack of bonuses, and special symbols.
In recent years, developers have indicated the variance in the reference sections attached to the model or in the description on the official website.
Which Slots Are More Interesting?
The answer to this question may be purely subjective. Each client has an idea of what should be an exciting slot machine. Someone likes frequent payouts, prefers free spins, and is bored without chasing accumulative jackpots.
We can say that in five-reel video slots, the gameplay is usually more diverse. It is not uncommon for models in which free spins, jokers, scatters, multipliers, bonus games, and jackpots are available at once.
Systems of several levels, unique features of the gameplay, and non-standard rules of forming combinations-such characteristics are also more common in slots with five reels.
But we must admit that the new three-reel slot machines can also surprise even sophisticated users of online casinos. Many developers are not afraid to deviate from the classic canons and offer slot machines with original features.
Which Slots Are More Spectacular?
Of course, this category wins video slots with five reels by a large margin. Of course, models with three reels are colorful and spectacular, but they are usually not very catchy.
New video slots of the largest manufacturers usually delight with bright animation, a high degree of detail, catchy icons, and impressive sound. See for yourself by reviewing reviews of the latest innovations at Casinoz.
Why People Choose Classical Slot Machines
Clients who prefer the traditional slot machine can give them a preference for various reasons, including some personal ones. Here are a few typical explanations:
- Simple rules – if you do not like to understand the many nuances of bonuses, features of symbols, and other aspects, play on machines with three reels. They rarely have complicated rules.
- High speed – Animated screensavers, numerous combinations, and frequent prize options slow down the gameplay. Everything happens much faster in "fruit machines" and other similar models.
- Habit – Many users are playing on the classic slots out of habit. Some models migrated to online casinos from real halls, "pulling" loyal fans.
- Nostalgia – This point is similar to the previous one. Sometimes people run traditional devices to indulge in memories of their first gaming experience, friends, hometown, and the like.
- A high degree of volatility – Not everyone likes to receive small payouts in almost every spin. Many players prefer to wait out steaks of bad luck in the hope of hitting a significant jackpot in one successful spin. Classic slot machines often provide this opportunity.
If you like traditional slot machines, tell us in the comments what attracts you.
Why Players Choose Five-Reel Video Slots
Let's list the main reasons that encourage customers to play multi-functional slots with five or more reels:
- A variety of gameplay – Players like Wild symbols, additional multipliers, original bonuses, unusual prize features, frequent free spins, and other features. These models do not get bored for a minute.
- Entertainment – Many modern slot machines amaze with the quality of graphics and animation effects. Some of them are ready to challenge the latest Hollywood blockbusters. Of course, this attracts users.
- A wide range of topics – Video slot manufacturers try to cover all the topics demanded by potential customers. They produce slots for dog lovers, cat lovers, movie fans, comic book fans, music fans, gossip columnists, wild west fans, and so on. Playing on the devices, you can go back to childhood, imagine yourself a pirate, dream about the luxurious life of millionaires, or be in the company of your favorite movie character.
- Unique features – New slot machines offer built-in betting systems, 3D graphics, levels, numerous settings, and other options. There are even models with virtual reality. This can not but attract fans of modern technology.
- Numerous slots with jackpots – Among the five-reel machines, there are many more games with progressive jackpots.
- Large bets – Usually, in classic slot machines, the maximum limits are not very high, so high rollers prefer video slots, in which bets can reach several thousand per spin.
- Low volatility – Many lines, special symbols, bonuses, and other features reduce the volatility. Usually, in such games, many combinations are formed. The fact that the payouts are rarely huge does not bother enthusiastic players.
Write in the reviews what you like about five-reel slots.
Which Slots Gambling Experts Recommend
Most professionals do not play slots at all. They prefer blackjack, video poker, and other games of chance, in which you can get a mathematical advantage over the house.
In slot machines, the RTP is not high enough, and it can not be increased with the help of any betting systems or other strategies. This means winning the casino on video slots will not be possible. It will still benefit in the long run.
However, a category of experts claims that they have learned to make living playing machines with progressive jackpots. As a rule, we are talking about offline devices with accumulative amounts, which must be played before they reach a specific size. It remains only to find a model in which the maximum limit is close. Ideally, it should not be very popular with customers. Of course, this task is not easy.
In an interview with Peter Liston, read more about this system of professional casino slot games.
Casinoz Tips on How to Pick Casino Slots
In previous articles, we have repeatedly given tips for choosing gambling games of all genres. If you want to understand this issue thoroughly, study the publications in the thematic sections of the portal. Below we will focus on the key aspects, but first, we will share our opinion about the battle "Five VS Three."
The number of reels in a slot machine is nothing more than a characteristic.
Great titles are found in both groups. When choosing the game, focus on other factors:
- The RTP is the return to the player.
- The volatility means how often and how much the slot pays.
- The betting range defines the minimum and maximum wagers.
- The interface should be comfortable, functional, and user-friendly.
- The manufacturer must be reliable and reputable in the industry.
Read more about all these points in the particular articles on Casinoz.
Identifying the most popular slot machines is challenging because customers' tastes often change, and new machines appear daily.
So which slot machines are better: five-reel or three-reel? Asking such a question is the same as asking which pets are better: cats or dogs. Each person will have indisputable arguments in favor of their choice.
A final tip:
Choose the format, design, and theme of the slot at the call of the heart, but study the factors affecting the probability of winning with a clear mind.
It's good that the slot evokes pleasant memories or captivates you with exciting gameplay. But more importantly, what chances of winning does it leave you? However, positive emotions come to the fore if you play solely for fun.
Let's discuss the topic in the comments. Tell us about your preferences. Give arguments in favor of one or another type of slot.